Thursday, March 10, 2011

The road to Dubai

Abu Dhabi to Al Ain to Abu Dhabi to Dubai to AD to Dubai to AD to AA to AD.....phew. Who knew one could do so much travel all within 3 hours of driving? So goes the fabulous life of sustainability.

The road to Al Ain is paved with trees. Sure, I don't know where the water comes from, considering it's the desert and all, but it sure does look pretty. (I promise I've got a photo or two of it, and will be posting them.) Unlike the speeding cars that pave the way to Dubai, the gentle ride is quiet relaxing - and I can't wait to get to the Wildlife Preserve this week. Lions and tigers and, well, I don't actually think they have bears. Oh my.


Dubai, on the other hand, is insane. I liken it to Vegas on drugs. No, really, it's more emense, more over-the-top, more everything than one can imagine. All-day beach parties. Man-made islands. Skyscrapers that in any other town would dwarf the surrounding buildings, yet are themselves dwarfed by the Burj Khalifa. Standing over 2,500 ft tall, it boasts the titles of: tallest building, tallest free-standing structure, tallest elevator service, and highest outdoor observation deck - IN THE WORLD. I cannot wait to visit the next time I'm in town. If I don't, I'm pretty sure my architecture friends will disown me. This past weekend, the sand and sun called my name more loudly, and I traded the Burj to see one-hit wonder, Fragma, plus witness my friends lose 2 pair of sunglasses, 2 cell phones, and one flip-flop? Welcome to Dubai!

No comments:

Post a Comment